Friday, November 18, 2011

Home is where the heart is...

  Watercolor print from Etsy.com

I've lived in the same small town in the same small house for 14 years now. Until recently, I've always referred to my house as my home. Following my Mom's decision to relocate given recent changes, such as my departure to college, I have spent a lot of time contemplating the idea of home and what the context of home really is. 

Only a few days ago, I conveniently stumbled upon a quote in Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance; "to travel is more important than to arrive." Talk about irony. I then finalized my once indefinite hypothesis regarding home. I sided with the cliche quotes "the journey is our home" and "home is where the heart is" that have rightfully existed for a reason. 

Life is not about the arrival, but the journey. We need to constantly change and adapt to allow ourselves to recognize that the core is never changing, despite alterations in material aspects, such as the roof over our head. 

I will forever be grateful to our tiny colonial house for a lovely backdrop to a majority of my families 14 years of memories thus far, but I am optimistic that leaving our house behind will not mean saying goodbye to home.

"The Journey Begins Here" oil painting from Etsy.com