Thursday, December 15, 2011

New Traditions

Photo from Then and Now photography by Irina Werning

Some of my very first posts on this blog heavily dealt with the idea of traditions, ultimately suggesting that traditions are very important to me- and they are. As the season transitions or a holiday or annual event approaches, I naturally feel the need to begin checking off the list of traditions tied to the event in my head. This includes apple picking in Autumn and then cooking an apple pie with my Sister, eating my mom's customary ice box cake on my birthday, and opening an "elf" gift Christmas Eve morning- a long-established ritual in my family. This year, I have often blogged about change. As an honor to the two reoccurring themes I so often ponder, I am now going to write a post about the two: establishing new traditions.

Having just finished my first semester of school (I am now in the midst of the zombie-like phase of finals), I've been reflecting on my most favored activities I partook in this year thus far in Burlington. The following is the list-in-progress:

1. Sip on many, many pumpkin chai lattes from Uncommon Grounds on Church Street as soon as the leaves start changing color.
2. Attend UVM's Annual Naked Bike Ride at the end of each semester... and possibly participate.
3. Study on the quad, in the sunshine, on as many beautiful (and warm) days possible.
4. Relieve stress by spending a day getting work done in New Moon Cafe, indulging in both a delicious breakfast and lunch.
5. Knit a headband once the first frost hits.

What are some of your old and new traditions?